EN 10025 S235JR Material (1.0038 Steel)
EN 10025 S235JR material (1.0038 steel) is an European standard hot rolled non-alloy structural steel. It has good plasticity, toughness and weldability, certain strength and good cold bending properties.
Material S235JR meaning (designation):
- “S” is short for structural steel;
- “235” refers to the minimum yield strength (MPa) for the steel thickness ≤ 16mm;
- “JR” indicates the quality grade related to charpy impact test energy value ≥ 27 J, at room temperature 20℃;
- “C” means the material is suitable for cold flanging, cold bending, cold forming or cold drawing, e.g. S235JRC (1.0122).
- 1.0038 is the steel number of this material.
Carbon steel S235JR general delivery conditions are as follows:
- +AR means “as-rolled” and delivery condition without special rolling and/or heat treatment.
- +N stands for “normalized or normalized formed”
- +M refers to “thermomechanically formed – TMCP”
- +C is the “cold work hardened”
- +A means that the mateiral is in the soft annealed condition.
- +AT means that the steel is in the solution annealed condition.
Example 2: S235JRC steel means the material is suitable for cold flanging, cold bending, cold forming or cold drawing.
Example 3: If S235JRC steel is delivered in the condition of cold work hardened, it’s named as S235JRC+C (1.0122+C).
Material 1.0038 Datasheet & Specification
The following tables and lists show S235JR datasheet and specification including chemical composition, mechanical properties and physical properties, etc. The data sheet of DIN EN 10025-2 is the same as BS EN 10025-2 and other EU member states’.
Chemical Composition of S235JR Material (EN 1.0038 Steel)
The following table shows (1.0038) S235JR chemical composition based on ladle analysis.
|Chemical Composition (ladle analysis) %, ≤|
|Standard||Grade||Steel Grade (Steel Number)||C||Si||Mn||P||S||Cu||N|
|EN 10025-2||S235 steel||S235JR (1.0038)||0.17||–||1.40||0.035||0.035||0.55||0.012|
Physical Properties of S235JR Steel (1.0038 Material)
- Material density: 7.85g/cm3
- Melting point: 1420-1460 °C (2590-2660 °F)
S235JR Steel (1.0038 Material) Mechanical Properties
The yield strength, tensile strength, elongation, and Charpy impact test are listed in the following data sheet.
- EN 1.0038 material Brinell hardness: ≤120 HBW
- Charpy impact value: ≥ 27J, at room temperature 20 ℃.
|Yield Strength (≥ N/mm2); Dia. (d) mm|
|Steel Series||Steel Grade (Material Number)||d≤16||16< d ≤40||40< d ≤100||100< d ≤150||150< d ≤200||200< d ≤250|
|Tensile Strength (≥ N/mm2)|
|Steel Series||Steel Grade (Material Number)||d<3||3 ≤ d ≤ 100||100 < d ≤ 150||150 < d ≤ 250|
1MPa = 1N/mm2
|Elongation (≥%); Thickness (d) mm|
|Steel Series||Steel Grade||3≤ d≤40||40< d ≤63||63< d ≤100||100 < d ≤ 150||150 < d ≤ 250|
EN 1.0038 material can be made into many steel products, such as H beam, I beam, steel channel, steel plate, steel angle, steel pipe, wire rods, and nails, etc. and these products are widely used in general requirements for welded structures and parts such as bridges, transmission towers, boilers, steel structure factories, shopping centers and other buildings, etc.
EN 1.0038 material S235JRG2 or S235JR steel equivalent to US ASTM AISI SAE, European EN (German DIN, British BSI, France NF…), ISO, Japanese JIS, Chinese GB, and Indian standard. (For reference)
Notes: S235JRG2 is the former designation, and has been discarded and covered by S235JR in EN 10025-2 since 2004.
|EN 1.0038, S235JR steel equivalent grade|
|Standard||Steel name (Stee number)||Standard||Grade||Standard||Steel name||Standard||Grade||Standard||Grade||Standard||Grade||Standard||Grade|
|EN 10025-2||S235JR (1.0038);
|DIN 17100||St37, RSt 37-2, Ust 37-2||JIS G3101;
|GB/T 700||Q235B, Q235C||IS 2062||E250A||ISO 630-2||S235B|
|EN 10025-2||S235J0 (1.0114)||ASTM A36;
|DIN 17100||St 37-3 U||JIS G3106||SM400A,
|IS 2062||E250||ISO 630-2||S235C|
|EN 10025-2||S235J2 (1.0114);
|JIS G3106||SM400A||GB/T 700||Q235D||IS 2062||E250||ISO 630-2||S235D|